The topic of the HLPF’s annual Thematic Review for 2019 is ‘Empowering People and Ensuring Inclusiveness and Equality’. It will review five SDGs in depth, including SDG 16 on peaceful, just and inclusive societies as well as SDG 4 on Education, SDG 8 on Growth and Employment, SDG 10 in Reducing inequalities and SDG 13 on Climate Change. A coalition of SDG 16+ global initiatives that includes the Global Alliance for Reporting Progress on Peaceful, Just, and Inclusive Societies, the 16+ Forum and the Pathfinders have come together around the Stand-Up for SDG 16+ campaign to promote more effective advocacy and action on SDG 16+.
To prepare for the Thematic Review this SDG 16+ coalition will:
- Convene consultations on SDG 16 in different parts of the world
- Hold a global online consultation on the SDG16Hub
- Based on the technical consultations and the online consultation, publish an SDG 16+ Report including key recommendations for progress on SDG 16,
These activities will feed directly into the Expert Group Meeting (EGM) on SDG 16 that the UN Department of Social Affairs (DESA) will hold in early 2019 to prepare for the HLPF 2019 Thematic Review. The overall objective is to identify good practices in monitoring, reporting and implementation of SDG 16+ and to strengthen country programming and support to national partners in delivering on SDG 16+.
SDG 16+ Technical Consultations
In order to ensure broad based inputs to HLPF 2019, The Global Alliance on reporting on peaceful, just and inclusive societies with UNDP, and in partnership with other SDG 16+ initiatives such as the Pathfinders (TBC) and SDG 16+ Forum (TBC) will organize six Technical Consultations on SDG 16+ on peace, justice and inclusion:
- Sierra Leone, 11 and 12 October 2018 -Technical Consultation on Justice
- Cabo Verde, 29 November 2018 - Technical Consultation on Inclusion (Human Rights)
- Switzerland, … November 2018 (TBC) - Technical Consultation on Peace
- South Korea, … January 2019 (TBC) - Technical Consultation on Inclusion (Institutions)
- The Netherlands, … February 2019 (TBC) - Technical Consultation on Justice
- Tunisia, … March 2019 (TBC) - Technical Consultation on Peace
SDG 16+ Online Consultation
To enable contributions from a wide range of stakeholders, an online consultation will be held through the SDG 16+ Hub to provide an opportunity to define key messages, highlight stories and good practices, and share case studies of what has worked and what has not in the implementation of SDG 16+. These inputs will shape the Technical Consultations and feed into the SDG 16+ Report and UN DESA Expert Group Meeting.
SDG 16+ Report
The key findings and messages emerging from the technical consultations and the online consultation will feed into the SDG 16+ Report. The report will complement the Secretary General’s report by focusing on SDG 16. At the same time, it will cater to a broader, less technical audience by highlighting human stories, trends and lessons learned.
Other activities ahead of HLPF 2019
As every year, there are a number of UN-led activities to prepare the key elements of the HLPF, i.e. the Voluntary National Reports (VNRs) and the Thematic Review.
VNR 2019 Preparation
Regional preparation meetings
Thematic Review 2019 Preparation
Expert Group Meetings on SDGs under Thematic Review